Do I need a building approval for an extension?

Most types of home renovations and small building projects don’t need Council approval. As long as your project meets specific standards and land requirements, you won’t need any further approval.

However there are exceptions – for example if:

  • your home is listed as a heritage building
  • you live in or near a bush fire prone area or an area affected by flood
  • you live in a conservation area

If you are not sure what planning constraints and zoning rules affect your property, you can use the NSW Government Planning and Environments Planning Viewer find out what rules and restrictions apply to your property:

NSW Government Planning and Environment Planning Viewer

Posted in: faq