Home » FAQ


How do you manage a project?

All our building projects are managed at the site level by one our qualified and experienced foreman, including Matthew Root (Keith’s son).

The foremen are responsible for the day to day management of the site this includes both our crew as well as coordinating the timing of equipment and materials.

In addition to our foremen, our project manager Tony Root – who is usually the first member of the Keith Root team you will contact – makes a point of regularly visiting all our sites and ensuring everything is running smoothly.

If you have any questions you can also contact Tony on 0416 021 106

How far will you travel?

We are based on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and our clients benefit from our local knowledge of the environment and local contacts.

We also have managed projects in suburbs such as Coogee, St Ives, Vaucluse and even Cockle Bay for the Dockside Group.

What Type of Work Do You Do?

We will do a wide range of building work:

  • From renovations and extensions, to new builds
  • Interior, exterior and outdoor work
  • Residential and commercial
  • Hanging doors to erecting pergolas and installing swimming pools.

Do I need a building approval for an extension?

Most types of home renovations and small building projects don’t need Council approval. As long as your project meets specific standards and land requirements, you won’t need any further approval.

However there are exceptions – for example if:

  • your home is listed as a heritage building
  • you live in or near a bush fire prone area or an area affected by flood
  • you live in a conservation area

If you are not sure what planning constraints and zoning rules affect your property, you can use the NSW Government Planning and Environments Planning Viewer find out what rules and restrictions apply to your property:

NSW Government Planning and Environment Planning Viewer

Can I stay in my house during my renovation or extension?

Yes, as long as it does not affect the health and safety of you, your family or our team.

What is the difference between practical completion and handover?

For a new home, practical completion is the stage when all the building work has been completed in accordance with your contract, all statutory requirements have been fulfilled, and your home is reasonably suitable to live in.

You are obliged to carry out an inspection with us before there can be a handover.

You should also check with your bank or lending institution as they too may want to carry out an inspection before completing the financing arrangements.

The handover (or final handover) is the point at which ownership officially passes to you and you make final payment to us.

You will receive an occupancy permit, warranties and instruction documents for any appliances or fixtures we have installed and any other relevant documents from gas, electricity and water providers.